Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Student Assessment in the 1st Year of Modeling Physics

I'm in the middle of writing syllabi and have come to a road block. How do I explain my grading procedure? I haven't even resolved how I am to do it. I've been reading some great blog posts on the subject of standards-based grading from experienced modelers. I can see that it is so complementary to modeling instruction. I want to implement SBG as soon as I can, but don't see it happening in this first year. Having to use the school web-based reporting system requires having to set up a separate system that keeps students and parents informed. I read Brian Battaglia's blog posts from his first year of modeling. They were very encouraging and helpful. This confirms for me that I will put off SBG and focus on my modeling and not "leading the witness" in my attempts at socratic questioning. For now I am going to work on my SBG process for implementation next year and selling it to my administration and colleagues. Given the dramatic change from traditional to modeling instruction I remain in a quandary. How do I grade, categorize and weigh achievement in cognitive understanding? What does the reassessment process look like?

2 comments:

  1. I caved by second semester and went SBG! Take your time though. Lots of new things are opening for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it goes, Gary. You are farther along than I am at this point. I will just be happy to focus on constructivist learning and the whiteboarding/circling up! This seems like such a paradigm shift for me that grading has taken a back seat.

    ReplyDelete