Monday, September 2, 2013

First Week of Modeling Physics

For the first full day of class we worked on getting to know group members and develop teamwork. To accomplish this we took the Marshmallow Challenge.
There were many good efforts with the highest marshmallow at 26.5 inches. On Wednesday we did a modeling adaptation of my usual uncertainty lab. Students wrote a hypothesis concerning the relative height of each student whether lying down or standing up. Would a meter stick give a precise enough measurement? Thursday was our first shot at white boarding. The students started by making a white board expectation list. Every class got everything on my prep list plus one I forgot. I was so pleased for this illustration of how involving everyone brings the best results! Students really worked on the white boards with enthusiasm. Creating the "White Board of the Week" added a competitive spirit.
The broad participation, enthusiasm and real contribution made Thursday the best day I have had teaching! I am hopeful that this continues as I look forward to our first board meeting after Labor Day. I am so glad to already see benefits from participating in the modeling workshop this summer!

1 comment:

  1. Keep going Gary! This looks great. I have also had a similar experience with my first few days of modeling.

    ReplyDelete