Sunday, September 8, 2013

Week 2 Modeling Physics

This week began with our first board meeting. The students did very well contributing from their own base of knowledge. Once again most everyone was engaged from beginning to end. The atmosphere is so mutually enjoyable seeing the details originate from the students and not me. If there was a shortcoming it was my own dealing with the tension of wanting to make progress and not so patiently coaching. Perhaps that was in my head only. I am glad that I have had three teachers and two administrators observing already. I appreciate their interest and encouragement. I will get their feedback this week. This weekend I've been looking over my notes from our modeling workshop to hopefully improve my questioning and do more listening next time. We also did a second round of white boarding to complete the graphing and data analysis expectations. I remain encouraged that modeling instruction is the way to go. Monday we will debrief and then begin the types of graphs suite of labs. I plan to have each group do one linear and one non-linear lab for my two conceptual physics classes. I am considering assigning one linear and two non-linear labs for my smaller honors physics class if they work faster. I am somewhat surprised that my honors class is more tentative and cautious. All students at our school are required to take physics. It is typically scheduled for 10 grade. At this point I have not differentiated the curriculums. During board meetings in particular the honors class are more likely to look in my direction and ask me questions rather than volunteer comments. I suppose that they are more skilled and comfortable with traditional instruction. I am sure they will come around soon. Looking forward to another great week modeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment